Monday, October 6, 2008

The beautiful rose

I looked outside today, and even with the weather getting colder, I saw a small bud growing on my rose bush outside my window. WOW...I was so excited. This rosebush has caused me much grief over the years, not budding to overgrowing the room allowed. But today was the day...should I capture it's beauty and cut it and bring the bud inside or wait a day or two. By late after noon the flower had bloomed and was gorgeous. In just a short period of time it's life was half over. My curiosity could not be contained and I looked one more time before night fall. Could it really be true...that was it...the flower was starting to wither. I kept thinking...no...just one more day, why so fast. Everything in my life seems to be rushing by. Every year goes by quicker than the last. We too are like that flower...offering what we can to those who pass us by, but not knowing how long we will be in bloom. I hope that I am able to offer simple treasures like that rose gave me today...I was able to have one last glimpse of summers beauty before fall comes. Even though it was for such a small time I gained so much from it's presence. I could only hope that I am able to make that small impression on those around me.

Psalm 102:11
My days are like the evening shadow;
I wither away like grass.

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God stands forever."

No comments: