Monday, March 2, 2009

What did I give up for Lent?

Our church is going about Lent in a different way this year...they are asking that we read through Psalm 46-1...for the days between Ash Wednesday and Easter...they also thought people may want to refrain from something during this time...some are fasting...but I know that I would most likely end up in the hospital if I did that, so I was trying to think of something that I enjoy and brings me comfort and would offer a struggle to refrain from..you guessed it, it is Mt. Dew. I wanted to give up something that brings me comfort to lean more on God and how he can comfort me. I think we all rely on some "thing" to comfort us from time to time...don't get me wrong...I am not saying that anything is wrong or bad about that...but I was putting these "things" high on my list, relying on my little fountain friend far to much.

He brings me comfort, He provides less stress, He takes my worries away, He is my safety "to" the storm, "in" the storm, and "away" from the storm...

My fave verses this week are:(hope His words give you strength and comfort)

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


Psalm 40
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

4 Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hello...hope you're doing well!

I love Matt. 6:34...one of my favorite verses. I don't really observe lent, but I have been thinking about giving up chocolate for a little while. It's never a good thing to be addicted to stuff, whether it be chocolate, Mt. Dew, or other "drugs".