Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The old jar

Hello...all!!! Hope you and yours are doing well. The weather is finally starting to remember that it is summer and making its appearance now and again. It has been nearly 4 1/2 years since Elijah died...I have started to get "creative" in the way that I deal with my grief and utter pain of not having him in my everyday and night life. I wanted to share with you something that I briefly read in a book, but I am expanding on it a little and will keep you posted on if it really works for me or not. I hope to also find some scripture to offer...maybe in the next post.

I have just received a whole box of old canning jars from a friend(she must know that I can't ever say no when people offer). So my brain has been hard at it to think of what I was going to do with all my little glass gifts. Got me thinking...yes, I do think from time to time...surprise!!!! So, I decided to lift my spirits a little and make it a little "collect ALL jar". Collecting things that I see, that... for a moment bring me joy and a glimpse into our wonderful creator.

What, you ask am I planning on placing into the jar???? Well, I don't really know yet. HE has not yet given me a "treasure" to place into my jar.(Always HIS timing, not mine). But I am going to make time to look at the gifts around me. Rocks, leaves, maybe even a lighting bug or two...don't worry animal activists, I will set them free. I want to be able to look at something small that captures my eye and my heart, placing it into an sad, lonely, empty jar. Slowly, filling it up to the top. Later, being able to recall in my memory the joy that each and every item in the jar gave to me. Filling my heart with hope and happiness like the treasures filled my jar.

God is good and always provides small treasures to us in his name.

1 comment:

Beth said...

What a creative idea!! You could also fill the jar with popcorn kernels (or something like it) & shake it up... as you shake it up different things would appear & you could remember them. ~ Just reading the "old" jar reminded me of that song, "Make new friends but keep the old... one is silver & the other's gold". (((hugs to a great friend)))